These 79 feet long, one-stage missiles had a range of 2,500 miles and carried single one-megaton warheads.
They were remarkable for their blunt noses and absence of tail fins. Big fuel-tanks increased their thrust, making them more powerful than SS-4s.
Their all-inertial guidance systems enhanced their reliability in flight and accuracy, giving them a CEP of 0.7 miles.
They could be fired from fixed and protected pads or from mobile platforms.
First developed in 1958, SS-5s were deployed after April 1961. They were decommissioned in 1984.